Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Hour of Bewilderbeast

Firstly. Gentlemen I will be having a small going away before I take off for the land of the sand and stars this evening at 7 p.m. (aka 1900) on the roof top deck of Nellie's here in the DCness. If I haven't gotten ahold of you personally, sorry, means I either don't have your direct contact info or you slipped through the cracks. Consider this your invite. If I haven't met you feel free to stop by and say hi.

Secondly, I'm back at the Big Bear. One last latte on my way to wherever. Im watching the R St market . .or First St market . . or whatever they are calling it outside of the window from the big butcher block table. I get the same feeling watching it as I do when I step into Whole Foods. A certain level of pretension that tells me that this will stop being indie in .05 seconds and this will be main stream. Just because it's small ladies and gentlemen, doesn't mean its better. There is independent and there is smart. I'd rather be smart to be honest.

Thirdly, I recently bought Badly Drawn Boys "The Hour of the Bewilderbeast" which mind you, is from 2000, but for some reason the song "Once Around the Block" kept coming to my little brain. So now I own it. Also thanks to TNG I now own I also own Matt Pond PA's last two albums. I've been pleasantly surprised to find out that "Magic Boyfriend" and "Parties" are not his only two songs. I've become particularly impartial to "Sunlight". It's pretty apt at describing me right now.

Fourthly, and where I was going with this post in the first place. What the hell happens to people that kills our ambition? The world is tough, but ya know, it's not so tough that things can't be done. Personally I've always had big dreams. I can distinctly remember when I was a kid wanting to be a archeologist, then I wanted to be a astronaught, then I wanted to be president. And you know, that never changed for me. It may have shifted, but it's just as grandiose. I want a congressionally mandated position some day. I think I can do it, I really do. It just takes hard work. But the more often I state this far off goal of life and the older I get, the more folks think I'm nuts. I guess maybe they think that you should aim for something that is "reachable", which to my line of thought is a way of defeating yourself before you even get going. Big tasks are a series of 'reachable' tasks, it's just a matter of keeping your eye on a higher goal. So what happens to people that they let the world beat them down? I don't understand to be honest. Which is not that uncommon for me, but slightly frustrating. You can be anything you want to be or do anything you want to do, it's all possible in this world, no matter who you are. The road might be longer, the road might be more difficult, but you can do it. This concept has been bothering me for a few days. I'll figure it out eventually, or forget about it, that happens alot too.

And finally, because I should probably do something with my day, this maybe my last post for a bit. I'll try to post tomorrow. But once I'm in the cradle of civilization, eh, I'm not sure what the internet situation maybe. I may end up writing posts and having someone back here post them for me. We'll have to see. I will find a way to keep talking however, this I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd seen this earlier, but it might have been just as well, as I have something of a cold and few things suck like a cold your first few days before you go. Deserts and illness don't make for happy campers.

I get your point regarding indieness; I feel like it's so often like that. What we once loathed and loved will be repackaged and sold back to us somehow.

I think what kills our ambition is a combination of the finite amount of time that is available to us and a cynicism of those who went before. The mundanities of life, just trying to make it to the end of the week, to pay day, to the next year, they can all be very heavy loads and there's surprisingly little that we can control, at least unless we happen to be fabulously wealthy.

My dreams are always on the future, about people, and probably entirely too boring. Yours do seem more interesting by far.