Monday, September 8, 2008

Camptown Races

So Herb scared the living poop out of me today.
Porque you ask Leo? Well kiddies, he compared Lauriol Plaza to the Stephen Foster Musical.
Which sounds innocent enough no? 
Yeah, for the record I'm from the small town of Cox's Creek, Kentucky.  This is a small farming community just south of Louisville, KY. I like to describe as thus: We have the "In and Out Mart and Gas Station", a Post Office and a Elementary school, and a Blinky light!
The closest major town to us is Bardstown, KY.
The self proclaimed "Bourbon Capital of the World".
The web site for the tourism board is full of references to how folks should "Sample our Spirit" and how "We're strong in sprit" . . does anyone else feel dirty? Or perhaps curious about what I'm like in bed at this point? *smirks* Seriously, something like 85% of the worlds bourbon is made within 15 mins of my parents house. Pretty much everything except that crap they call bourbon in Tennesse, aka Jack Daniels.
But it's also the home of Stephen Foster, who is the author of all those fun songs that you find yourself humming for no reason from back in the day. Camptown Races and I Dream of Genie, My Olde Kentucky Home.
Strangely enough we are also home of St. Joseph's Proto-cathedral, which is the first catholic cathedral west of the Appalachians. We have monks in the southern part of the county at The Abbey of Gethsemani (home of Thomas Merton), and The Sisters of Nazareth to the north.
Yeah, It's a interesting place.
But it's small.
Always kinda shocks me when folks make reference to it.
Ok, back to laundry, I gotta get some sleep tonight.

4 comments:

Herb said...

Hey I couldn't resist after you mentioned Bardstown.

I grew up in Southern Indiana and was dragged to the Stephen Foster Story a few times. I lived in Louisville for several years before moving here.

All this aside, Lauriol Plaza is overrated!

The Annual Bourbon Festival needs to get totally invaded by Bears some year!

Tim said...

Ha! I've been to Bardstown, KY!

Anonymous said...

One goes to lauriol for the salsa and occasionally for a game of "Who's zoomin' who?", however I've never thought much of the food.

I have a preference for a place which cannot be discussed aloud as already too many have learned its name and its prices have increased. Thankfully it's still pretty damn great.

Anonymous said...

Ok and now I've commented in the wrong place. I should go to bed.

I'm not sure how you got from the chosen spirit of the lord to sampling your essence, but frankly I am appalled. In other news: hell froze over than lucifer is skating to heaven.