
Little social commentary here.
I hate the concept of whole foods, I hate the concept of ultra-healthy, ultra-natural "oh so virgin" and pure foods. This concept is complete bilk for everyone, yet we, mostly the gay community (well and yuppies) continue to buy into it. Because lord knows its going to make us younger, or more fit, or skinnier or "it just tastes better".
Maybe it's just because I am at core a fat lazy american, but for god's sake ladies and gentlemen a few points.
Natural my ass. Unless you grew it yourself, just dealing with the insects, in the purest part of the world, using only rain water and not supplementing the soil in any way, shape or form. Guess what, it ain't natural. No farmer in there right mind is going to do that, as alot of fruit grown in this manner isn't "pretty" or "appealing" to the eye. Thus doesn't sell. Loss for everyone. The FDA, who I'm pretty sure are still looking out for us as americans on that whole regulatory statutes on food imposes certain regulations on these products, even if they are "all naturally". Which does sort of defeat the concept of "all natural" usually. I'm glad we have the regulations, but at core, it sorta defeats the marketing ploy.
Now I am not all knowing, the compendium of history doesn't reside in my little head. But when did our ancestors decide it would be a good idea to milk a soybean? When did they decide that "whey" was the way to go? Or how about giving up science in the food industry because it's not "natural". There are two points here, the first is generations of people have been trying to make your life better and easier. By choosing whole foods as your choice you just back slapped them because of some pseudo scientific fact that it's better for you. Guess what, generations of humans lived and died before you without the wonder of whole foods. The demographic mean hasn't vastly shifted due to the fact that we now have this cornucopia of food in our midst. Which leads to the second fact that I like science. Really I do. It keeps horribly ravenous germs and viruses from eating me from the inside out, it lets me escape natural disasters and biggest of all it makes my life easier to live.
The final reason usually given for liking whole foods is "but it tastes better". Well that is a matter of opinion now isn't it? I happen to like pea's from a can. I like fast food. I like grease. I like southern cooking. I like ice cream and white sugar and 2% pasteurized milk. I grew up with these things and I think they taste good. Therefore I continue to eat them. I may regulate how much I eat of them, but I eat them all the same. I also happen to like apples and romaine lettuce and cucumbers. I eat those because they taste good too.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is this. If you are going to shop at whole foods. Give a real reason for doing so. Don't give me the whole line of crap that "it's better for you". Just tell me because it's close to your place. Or it has interesting stuff you can't get elsewhere. Or you like so and so product, it tastes good. Don't try to encourage me to join some yuppie health food craze.
aka Keep your nuts and berries to yourself and I'll keep my fruit-loops.
1 comment:
Yeah I shop at whole foods, but to be honest, their produce, natural or not is better quality and actually cheaper than the Soviet Safeway's and is closer to my homestead.
Post a Comment