Friday, March 14, 2008

Carpe Noctum

Well to add to my ever growing list of horror stories of traveling to and from DC. I bring you this evening a delightful tale called: Leo Hates to Be Late, But DC conspires against him.
Now gentlemen, ss I've mentioned, I have to drive from the lovely bucolic fields of Herndon-ia to the slum's of Vienna to climb on the Metro and ride it into the city.
As much as my friends keep trying to convince me that driving in is just easier, well I refuse. This is for two reasons, 1.) I feel safer leaving my car in a nicely allocated, always spacious, lot at the metro. It feels safe to me and I'm happy with it. 2.) Driving in the city (especially at night) scares the living be-jebus out of me, not that I frighten easily mind you. But it's that strange mix of fear and having a true understanding of why guns are banned in DC, it's not comfortable, it doesn't put me in a clubbish/party mood, so I just avoid it.
But to continue with the tale. Now, two weekends ago, I'm leaving Remington's on a friday night heading home on the metro around 12:30. The beauty of Remington's is I can ride the Orange line all the way home, which is peachy, We got to all of Fed SW and low and behold the train breaks down. I didn't get home till 2:30 in the morning. Thats right, two hours.
To continue that, this evening I'm taking the metro to China town, looking at the map it's easy right? Orange line to Metro Center, transfer to Red and go to the next stop, awesome. (as a added bonus gentlemen, I ended up talking to a Virginia Military Institute student on the train, and why yes, they are hotter then the commercial, ZOMG)  Yeah, no one told me that the Red line was on a thirty minute delay. It got to the point that I was dancing to my iPod on the station platform and sending humorous text messages to the partiers. So, I get to the party, have a good time. Everyone decides to go to Town, and to be honest I'm not feeling it. I've got Shamrockfest then I'm going to Blow Off (yeah, I'm going to try to pick Durban and Jimbo out of a crowd, since they have not a chance of hell of picking me out, apparently I look ~nothing~ like my picture on here, I still gotta fix that). So I knock out early, one of my friends drops me off at Foggy Bottom Metro, I climb on and it's a relatively peaceful rest of the metro ride home. I climb in my car, and about 30 seconds from my exit off of 495 to the Toll Road there is a major accident that completely dead stops all traffic in all four lanes on 495. Holy mother mary mother of god can I not have just one easy time getting home?
I'm still thinking this is God's way of pressuring me into moving to DC.
Guess I'll have to keep on trying. But ok, bed, night kids.

No comments: