Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Vibrant Red's, Daring Blues

Last night I was talking to one of my friends about my blog. Yes I know that bragging about ones blog is not the nicest thing in the world. But to be honest, I like writing, and I've finally got another out-let to do it in, so I'm talking about it.
I gave him a piece of description and he commented that he noticed that even when I speak I tend to be very descriptive and tend to speak in metaphor and simile quite a bit. I can't deny this, it's part of who I am, and I have to say I like it.
I compare it to how it appears Ernest Hemingway viewed life.
If you read the expatriate authors, you notice that not only is there the sense of the "Lost Generation" intermingled in the pieces, but you get a certain sense how each was as a person.
Hemingway, while being short, to the point, was utterly descriptive. Due to his style everything was vibrant, bright, and drew the eye like few things can. It was brash, yet retained a sense of style.
Bright red blood, stunning blue streams, cutting mountain winds.
All of this english jargon is just that, but it's hard to describe my view point without it. 
With that in mind I try to remember that words are one of the few ways that we have to express ourselves. I could paint a picture for everyone, I could write a song, but my chosen form is this poor little series of characters in a line that express mental concepts.
And for some reason this went highly philosophical without me meaning it to.
What I'm getting at is this. I think that individuals should really listen to one another. Not in a touchy-feely kind of way, but in a way that lets them actually hear what people are trying to say.
Nothing is as simple as the word that is expressed, there is always more connotations behind it.
Words are like lakes with hidden depths, it just matters on the setting, how the rainfall has been that season, and whether evaporation has taken it's toll or not.

No comments: