Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's the fear of doing that makes the decision to make the "do" hard to do

The two hardest things in a person's life are things we do all the time. Those being the decisions to "do" and the decisions to "be".
Active and Passive.
Not everyone is good at both. Not to the extent one or another either. Some are a mix of the two to one degree or another, but generally one is more overpowering then another. I personally am very good at "doing" and very poor at just "being". I feel complete when I'm in the act of making/completing/moving just . . doing.
Now you tell me to relax, to just stop doing things, to just "be" and I get lost. I'm not sure how to do it. I know to some that doesn't make sense. But to me it makes perfect sense.
I've noticed that there is alot of truth in me in the rest of the world. The doer's and the Be'ers are two separate beings and we all move in our own ways. We irritate each other but we are all necessary.
Now lately I've been trying to be more of a be'er, which I know sounds crazy, but it's really hard to just "be". I get bored and I end up wondering what is going on and who is doing what and why they are doing it and what I could be doing right now.
Which is why while I type this blog entry I'm watching "Angels in America", talking to my friend T, doing dishes, oh and finishing up the last chapter of "City of Fallen Angels".
Now gentlemen, take this a step further.
Do'ers are going to be considered clingy, needy, pushy and in general domineering.
Be'ers are going to be considered laid back, inattentive, self-sufficient and in general passive.
So figuring out how much another guy is a do'er and how much of a be'er he is should be a major task when trying to form a relationship. Once you got a lock down on that, one should not be upset when they follow there nature. But thats just my thoughts on it.
But I also have to think that half of the problem is we don't truly understand ourselves. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tend to be more of a be'er (mmm beer), but I'm often doing lots of things, i.e. last fall I went to see my college soccer team whup up on Maryland, then to a Nats game, then a concert all in one day and used the metro time to finish a book and the saturday crossword. I freely admit I'm a mess but just hanging out in these different venues was great fun.